Monday, April 9, 2012

Las Alfombras de Comayagua...

I love Las Alfombras, the sawdust carpets that are created for Good Friday every year.  Groups and families start late Thursday night, well, actually, early Friday morning creating colorful carpets that will soon be history.

One of my favorite things to do is go downtown early on Good Friday to take photos.  I try to leave my house by 6:30am, or earlier.  Why?  Why do I get up so early on a day off?  Well, there are a couple of reasons: The walk downtown is peaceful and I get to see a few alfombras that are not part of the main processional.  I also get to see people still working on the alfombras.  I get to take pictures before it gets too crowded.  And, I get to enjoy the cool of the morning.

The main 'ingredient' of the carpets is sawdust.  Colored sawdust.  But other ingredients, mostly natural, are also used: pine needles, tree bark, salt, egg shells, beans, rice, stones, flowers, plastic flowers, etc., etc.  Elaborate designs are created.  And various templates are made. 

The results?  Well, judge for yourself:

I really love the use of an irregular border -- of flowers.

Lots of details.

This alfombra is still in process.  Here's an example of templates that are made.

This one was my favorite of the day and it used lots of different materials.

At 9:00am the procession of the Via Dolorosa starts.  They leave one Catholic church and walk through town, over the various alfombras and past the stations of the cross.  They end up at the Cathedral.  I'll post some pictures from it tomorrow.  I don't have many, because I never stay long for that part.  By then, it's hot and the whole procession takes several hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment