Thursday, March 18, 2010

Excuse Me, Can You Spare a Few Days?...

A few extra days would be awesome.  So, if anyone has some just laying around, not being used, please pass them my way.  In fact, if you have a couple of days that are only slightly used, with plenty of hours left in them, I'll take those as well.  That's how it often feels around here.  I find myself saying things like, "It's Thursday already?  What happened to Tuesday and Wednesday, because I know that yesterday was Monday?"

Those lapses of time are simply amazing, especially in a culture where it seems that relatively few people value the ticking of the clock.  Except when they're driving.  Then, everybody has to be somewhere NOW!  And, they're bound and determined to get there before you.  It doesn't matter if I'm going slow because the 18-wheeler in front of me can't muster any more steam to get up the mountain, and I'm too cautious to pass him on a blind curve, in construction, in the dark.  The dude behind me will pass us both, usually getting back into our quasi-lane of traffic mere micro seconds before being flattened by the oncoming 18-wheeler that only has one headlight.

On the road.  That, my friends, seems to be the only time most Hondurans give a flip about time.  Personally, I think they're all just Dale wannabees.

So, if you happen to find a few extra days, let me know.  I can probably even pack them into my suitcase when I'm back in the States in SIX WEEKS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment