Monday, March 15, 2010

A Hug and a Kiss at the Supermarket...

Today has been a long day, and even though I should make another entry about the medical brigade, I'm tired.  But, something happened this evening that I thought would make for a good blog post.

This evening all four of us ladies were headed toward the grocery store.  Sandi was driving and Brenda, Jenny and I were opening the gate.  The other two girls went through, to get into the truck, when we spotted a very drunk, very shirtless guy coming toward us, a bottle of Tatascan in hand.  Tatascan is Honduran rot gut.  I've never tried it and have absolutely no intention of doing so.

Anyway, the dude was walking directly toward us.  I told Brenda and Jenny to get in the truck with Sandi.  But the guy was also trying to get in the back of the pickup.  I told him to get down and go, but he just said something in Spanish which I couldn't understand.  Currie came out and tried to run interference for us.  I locked the gate, and got in the front of the pickup.  Then, so that Currie could get back inside, Sandi called the drunk guy over to her window, which was cracked open just enough to talk.  She distracted the guy while Currie went back inside.  Then we headed to the grocery store.  Just another average day in Honduras.

At the grocery store, we all kind of separated so that we could get the things we needed.  I was happily picking out some of the incredible produce they had tonight: zucchini, summer squash, bataste, carrots, etc.  Suddenly, I was being hugged and kissed by a man.  No warning, just a hug and a kiss.  It turns out that it was Wilmer, from church, and was totally innocent, but it shocked me anyway.  I mean, I must have been so caught up in my veggie euphoria that I just didn't see him.  I quickly composed myself and told him that we were all there this evening.  He said that he had already seen Sandi and Jenny.  Whew!  Tell Doris that I said 'hello', Wilmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment