Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bits From the Bike...

In the past week, I've been out on my bike 5 times. In fact, I was hoping to get out there again this morning, but when I woke up, it was raining. Yes, I know. There have been many times I've ridden in the rain. But those were usually when I had no option: Want to get to the day's overnight camp? Ride your bike. Today, I had a choice and I chose not to ride.

However, let me try to regale you with some of my encounters and observations from the past week:

There's a kiddie carnival set up in a vacant lot right now. One morning there was a huge, and I mean HUGE, vulture sitting at the very top of the ferris wheel. Menacingly. Did I mention that it was huge? But it was gone on my next lap around the boulevard. Oh, well. Maybe it wasn't that big after all.

A gringa on a bike, riding loops on the boulevard, for exercise is still an oddity. People will stare. I usually meet their stares with a wave or a "Buenos días."

After this week, I think I know which are the best street vendors from which to eat. The ones with the most taxis stopped and the most taxistas eating. Of course, best does not always translate to safest.

I lost count of how many times this week I almost became a hood ornament for a taxi. I am giving serious consideration to getting a bell for the bike. And a helmet for my head. Glenda, did you just read that?

Friday morning must be Ladies' Day at the gym. I saw dozens of ladies coming and going, out running and speed walking. No other day has had as many ladies out there.

There is at least one other person in Comayagua who uses clipless pedals. I saw HER on Friday as she was leaving the gym. She was on her bike, clipping in as I passed, so I slowed down and waited for her to catch up. Then I told her that she is the only other person, besides me, that I've seen using clipless pedals. Unfortunately, I don't know the Spanish word for 'clipless' so I Spanglicized it to 'cleepless'.

If there are two people riding on one bike, the person on the seat pedals and the one on the top tube steers. Always. Unless there are small children involved.

So there you have it, my experiences on the bike this past week. I have no idea what the coming week will bring, in terms of new cycling adventures, but I'm planning to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment