Tuesday, September 28, 2010

There's a Wind a Blowin'...

The past few days here have been fairly breezy and quite a bit cooler than it should be this time of year. And by cooler, I mean that it was in the low 70s. Many people were commenting that it was December weather.

In fact, it's been so windy that on Sunday I got out a kite and Samuel, Jonathan and I went to the vacant lot next door to try to fly it. We were only marginally successful. My kite was lacking a tail, and then some of the material that holds the crossbars started to tear. Even in the short time we were out there, we had fun. I'm going to see what kites I can find while I'm in the States.

Another thing that happens when it gets cool like this is that the coats, hats and scarves come out. On Sunday night, Sandi, Brenda and I went to the grocery store. As we were leaving, I saw a little niƱo completely bundled up: thick, heavy flannel jacket, ski cap and scarf.

Then on Monday morning, many of the teachers and staff showed up similarly dressed. It's all a matter of perspective, of what we're used to. While I haven't put on a sweater yet, I am wearing long pants today. But I'm still in flip flops. I've turned off most of the ceiling fans in my house today. Last night I was still sleeping with only a sheet, my ceiling fan and the floor fan. Tonight I will probably turn the floor fan off.

And speaking of tropical depressions (we were talking about them, right?), Tropical Depression Sixteen (such a sexy name) has formed and is heading toward Cuba and later, Florida. Yes, just in time for my trip tomorrow, TD16 may hit Miami as my plane is trying to land. Of course, that also means that IF I land in Miami, my plane for Newark may not be able to leave. Hmmm, I seem to remember this movie. I think I lived it in August 2006 when I was coming here to Honduras for 5 1/2 months. The Miami airport was shut down and I had to spend an unexpected night (and pay unbudgeted dollars) in a nearby hotel. I'm hoping that TD16 is not a remake of that film.

Well, hopefully, my next post will happen while I'm in NJ...

No comments:

Post a Comment