Wednesday, May 4, 2011

On the Road to La Ceiba...

So, I was asked to be the female sponsor for a group of our students going to La Ceiba for a computer/technology competition. I said, "yes."

We left this morning. We were supposed to leave Enlaces at 7:00 a.m., but Mr. Allan (the computer teacher) told me it would probably be closer to 8:00 a.m. We left at 10:00 a.m. Although, that's not out of the ordinary. We had to wait for the rental car to arrive, then do a few more last minute things. Then we were ready to start our 5 1/2 - 6 hour drive.

Can you imagine my surprise when we made it to Naturaleza, at the lake, in right at one hour? Normally, it takes about 1 1/2 hours to get that far. Hmmm... This trip might go a bit faster than I thought. And it certainly did. We made it from Comayagua to La Ceiba in 4 hours, 15 minutes.

Don't ask how fast we were going. Don't ask how many times we passed on blind curves. I would have reminded Mr. Allan that we were on a school trip, with students, but since he was driving the lead car, it seemed that the best thing for me to do was to put the pedal to the metal and keep up.

Along the way I was struck by just how normal it seemed to drive on the roads here. It felt like I had been doing it all my life. Passing banana plantations, pineapple fields and sugar cane and dodging people, cars, motos, dogs, horses, cows, bulls, pigs, goats, etc. ~~ it all seems so normal now. I never grow tired of the view, but it really does seem like it's been part of my life forever. To me, that's a good thing.

Well, the kids are all up on the third floor at the pool, with Mr. Allan, so I'd best end here for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment