Sunday, April 24, 2011

You Spoke in English Why?...

Yesterday I went for a nice long motorcycle ride. First I went out toward El Volcan, but the pavement on that road ends about 4km out of town. I just like to ride up there, whether it's on my motorcycle or bicycle.

Then, I headed toward La Libertad. The day was a bit overcast and the road was a bit emptier than normal because of the holiday weekend. I could ride slower and not have to worry about being in people's way.

On my way out of town, I had seen that Pupusas al Boulevar was open, so I was already thinking that could possibly be my lunch stop. In fact, the more I thought about it, the more I was sure that WOULD be my lunch stop.

When I walked in, I saw a few people waiting for their orders. I went to the front and placed an order for 3 pupusas, then walked over to the cooler to grab a bottle of refresco. I sat down at what has become 'my table' to wait for my meal. Now, I'm really not overly sentimental about seats in a restaurant. It's more that I like to be able to see my motorcycle and just keep an eye on it.

A few minutes later, two young guys pulled up on a motorcycle, parked next to me and walked inside. They, too, placed an order and then grabbed a table. Apparently, they also wanted to keep an eye on their moto, because they sat down at the table next to me, right next to the door. Unfazed by any of this, I sat there and continued to wait for my meal.

My pupusas arrived and a short time later the guys next to me received their food, as well. The guys had been chatting between themselves, but I wasn't paying any attention at all to their conversation, which was, of course, in Spanish. A few minutes later, though, my ears perked up. A lot. These two young men were now talking in English. Perfect English. I still wasn't actually listening to their conversation, but the fact that they were speaking so well made me take notice.

So I did what anyone would do (I think). I turned to them and said, "Your English is excellent. Where did you learn?" The guy nearest to me actually jumped a little when I said that. As it turns out, they started speaking in English because they didn't want their conversation to be overheard. They thought that I was a native Spanish speaker. I hadn't said a word to them up until this point. I don't know what it was about me that made them think I didn't speak English, but, to me, it really was a compliment.

Oh, and by the way, even though I wasn't listening to their conversation itself, they weren't saying anything bad.

=========

Here are a few photos taken when Glenda, Marla and I went up the bell tower at the cathedral. Our guide was showing us how they ring the bells to call people to Mass.



Looks like fun, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment