Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Back in the Saddle Again...

Ah, in the last 9 days I've been on my bicycle 7 times. Feels great!

On Saturday, I put in a little more than 20 miles. I rode to Ajuterique, then on to Lejamaní and even a bit past there before turning around to head back. It really was a wonderful ride. I passed quite a few fields being worked by farm hands. Row after row, all being worked by hand.

Today I rode a few laps on the boulevard and then went up toward El Volcan. When I was just a bit out of town, I was coming up toward a young boy walking his bike. As I passed him, he mounted the bike and rode along with me for a while. His name is David. David is 9 years old and is in third grade. I asked him if he speaks any English. He told me "no", but that he wants to learn. Then I asked him why he wants to learn English. David said that it's important to learn English. So, again, I asked him why. He told me that his mother told him he needs to learn English and computers so that he can get a good job. I told David that his mother is very intelligent. He said, "I know." So, I'm sure that somewhere in his future, David is going to learn English and computers so that he can get a good job.

David and I rode together for a little while until I needed a break. I told David that I was going to stop, rest and then head back down the mountain toward Comayagua. We said our good-byes and then David continued riding for a bit. I pulled off to the side of the road, under the only shade that was around. David rode on about 20 yards or so and then dismounted his bike. He started walking it again. I guess he was tired, too.

Best wishes, David! It was nice to meet you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment