Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Disturbing Image...

I saw some photos posted on Facebook last Sunday which really disturbed me. Maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe not. I'll tell you about it and let you decide. Feel free to comment:

Last Saturday, former president Mel Zelaya returned to Honduras after more than a year away. Early in the morning, I was at our front gate, awaiting the arrival of students who had detention. While waiting, I saw a few buses, pickup trucks and cars pass, all sporting the red and white flag that signifies support of Mel. I knew that there was going to be some kind of rally (whether official or not, I wasn't sure) in Tegucigalpa and figured that those vehicle and their inhabitants were probably heading to the capital city.

The news later in the evening showed some of the crowds, the elation and the celebration over Mel's return. From what I saw, things were basically peaceful.

On Sunday afternoon, I was on Facebook. One of my friends here had posted a bunch of photos from the rally the day before. As I looked through the photos, I saw two which made me stop in my tracks. Those two photos were of someone else I know and consider to be a friend, standing triumphantly and proudly, hands on hips, on top of an American flag that was on the ground, in the gutter, in a puddle of water.

How do I react? I thought this person was a friend, but now, I don't know. Do these photos mean that s/he hates America? What about Americans? What about Americans that are here laboring in Honduras? So, by extension, does s/he hate me? What about the other North Americans s/he knows? How does that kind of action line up with the Word of God? Was s/he simply swept up in a mob mentality moment?

I sat there for a while at the computer, unable to shake the images from my mind. Shortly afterward, Sara and I left for lunch at La Princesita. We were joined by Pedro, a teacher here. I had already been discussing the photos with Sara and then asked Pedro for his opinion. He seemed to understand my feelings of discomfort toward this individual. He also agreed that you don't disrespect the flag of any nation.

I think my strong reaction comes because of the respect I give to the flag. The American flag or that of any nation. I may disagree with the leader of a nation. I may disagree with some of the people of a particular nation. But, I would never disrespect the flag of any nation.

By the time we got back from La Princesita, those two images had been removed from that particular photo album. Why? Did the person who posted them realize how wrong they were? Unfortunately, for me, the damage has already been done.

Now, I'm faced with how I will react the next time I see the person in the photos. An adult, basically the same age as I am. But s/he was trampling on the flag of the United States of America.

It's an image that seems to be burned indelibly into my mind.

A disturbing image...

3 comments:

  1. Susan, did you say anything to that person that posted the offensive photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find myself playing devil's advocate, it'sjust my nature. Was the person knowingly standing on the flag? Maybe that is why the pictures were removed.
    I do however agree with you Susan, all flags should be respected. Every country has their good people and their bad. Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I haven't seen the person who posted or the one standing on the flag since that happened. I'm actually planning to say something to the one on the flag. The one who took the photo is much younger (late teens/early twenties).

    Carrie, yes, the person was fully aware of what s/he was doing. It was an act of defiance.

    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete