Friday, August 28, 2009

It's All About Power...

... Or, rather, not losing power. I think today is the first day all week in which we have not had one or more power failures. We had at least three yesterday. So far, most of them have been very brief. The longest power failure so far was the third one yesterday, but even then, it only last 20-25 minutes. I was cooking dinner when it happened, but since I cook with gas, I just kept on cookin'. I do wonder if the government is going to impose rolling blackouts like they did three years ago. Those last much longer and usually happen in the hottest part of the day -- when you really need the fans in the classrooms to circulate the air.

Now that the week is over, I've met with all three grades I will initially be working with the most. The 6th graders today were an absolute blast. I hope they had at least a little fun, because I sure did.

Earlier tonight, I started hearing what I thought were firecrackers. Then, I was in my kitchen and looked out the window. I saw that it was actually fireworks. The real kind. The big kind. So I stood there for a few minutes and watched. I have no idea what they were for. I thought that they may have been somehow related to the government, but I don't know which side they would be for. I also thought that they may have been to celebrate the opening of La Colonia, a new grocery store that just opened last night. Sandi and I went there this morning. Wow! It was clean and shiny, and their prices on many items were lower than at Del Corral. They also have a lot of imported items. At first I was pretty excited when I saw Heinz ketchup there. Then, when I saw that the price was almost $3 for a small bottle, I opted for the $1 bottle of Campofresco ketchup. I know it's a lot sweeter than Heinz, but I'll get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment