Sunday, August 23, 2009

(New) Life at Enlaces

That's right; I'm here in Honduras, at Enlaces, beginning the next phase of my life. When I moved to Lawrence, KS in 1980 to go to school, I thought I'd be there for 4 1/2 years -- just long enough to study for 4 years and do the 6-month internship required of my degree. So, here it is, 29 years later, to the month, that I packed up all my stuff and moved.

I'm in Comayagua, Honduras, answering God's call to me to go to the nation of Honduras. It hasn't always been an easy process, nor have I always had a clear view, but this is where I'm supposed to be right now. And in that, I can rest easy.

Well, I got here on Thursday. I flew in to San Pedro Sula, and after going through immigrations and customs, Sandi and her son, Samuel, were waiting for me. We loaded my things into the back of the pickup truck and then headed to PriceSmart. PriceSmart is a warehouse club, like Costco or Sam's, and pretty much every trip to the city includes a trip there. It doesn't matter if we need to go to Tegucigalpa or SPS, because they both have a PriceSmart.

After PriceSmart we began to make our way back toward Comayagua. It had been quite a few years since I've flown in to San Pedro and I was amazed by how much the area has grown. There is a lot of road construction happening right now, so our progress was a bit slower than we had hoped.

We made it here to Enlaces shortly before 9:00pm. We dragged my stuff over to the mission house and Sandi tried to open the door. Nope. The security pin on the door had somehow been released and so now the only way in was through the window, after first removing some slats. I stayed at Sandi's house that night and the next day we had Fredi help us get in.

All of my suitcases are now unpacked and I'm settling in. More of my stuff will arrive in a container from the US, but for now, I'm quite comfortable!

That's it for today. Look for more to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment