Thursday, February 11, 2010

If I Could Save Time in a Bottle...

I know.  I know.  It's wishful thinking.  But, seriously... where does the time go?  I really do have very good intentions of keeping this blog somewhat current, but then the day to day stuff just happens.  Plus, I often think, "Who really wants to read about my life here, or about us painting or whatever?"  No, I'm not having a pity party -- had one of those the other day and I was the only one who showed up!!  

Well, it's been super busy since I posted last week about Grey's Anatomy.  Yes, we watched the show.  Yes, it was a new one.  Unfortunately, I probably won't get to watch tonight's episode because we're having a parents' meeting for school and I don't know if we'll be done before 8pm.

School starts next week and the teachers have been here getting their classrooms ready.  I just went around and took photos of many of them.  I'll be posting them on Facebook, on the Bridge Ministries - Enlaces con Cristo - Honduras page.  So, if you're on FB, feel free to mosey on over and take a gander.

Last Sunday, I rode up to San Pedro Sula with Currie, Sandi & Samuel.  Currie & Samuel were heading back to the States and I didn't want Sandi to drive home alone.  Plus, a trip to the city = a trip to PriceSmart!!  We got to the airport in plenty of time and the boys got checked in and even paid their departure tax (which has gone up to almost $37/person).  Then we all got some baleadas for a bit of a merienda.  After a while, Sandi & I left the airport and headed toward PriceSmart, with a planned stop at Diunsa first.  

Diunsa was having an incredible sale!  A LOT of the sporting goods were 50% off.  In fact, just two days earlier Hermes and I were at the Diunsa in Tegucigalpa, saw some really awesome ping pong tables (which we desperately need), called Currie & Sandi, and ended up buying two of them.  But I digress... While at Diunsa, we found some fútbol nets which were also 50% off.  Sandi made some calls to Charley and found out that it looked like the nets were good ones.  The normal price was more than 50% less than what we usually pay for the nets, and we were able to get TWO complete sets of nets for the price of one.  It was awesome!

Before we could check out, however, everyday life in Honduras took over.  Sandi got a call from Currie saying that they (Honduran officials) weren't going to let Samuel leave the country without permission from his mother.  Excuse me??? He has a US passport, not a Honduran one.  Sandi tried talking to the officials, but it was to no avail.  She ended up leaving me at Diunsa, so as not to take the time to check out, heading back to the airport, talking to the officials, who wrote a quick note saying it was okay for Samuel to leave, signed the note, and then came back to Diunsa.  I mean, really, was all that necessary?  Samuel has traveled with just one parent before; this is not new -- but the president is.  And, it looks like any/everything that can change will.

Back at Diunsa, we also ended up buying two basketball backboards.  Yup.  50% off on them, too.  So, over the course of the weekend, Diunsa made quite a bit of money from Enlaces: two each on ping pong tables, basketball backboards and fútbol nets, plus the fútbol uniforms Hermes bought for the school on Friday.  Then there were the personal purchases that he and I each made.


After Diunsa, we made it over to PriceSmart and were able to get in and out of there in probably record time.  We really didn't have a lot to get there.  Tomorrow will probably be different since school starts next week and they need lots of food.


We're leaving at about 4am tomorrow to make it up to San Pedro Sula for a teachers' conference.  Most of the teachers are going and we'll stay overnight in Villa Nuria, which is a pretty nice ApartHotel.  Basically, they are residence hotels.  Each unit has two bedrooms, a small living room and a small kitchenette.  They're located very close to the airport, which works really well if we have late evening or early morning flights.  They even have shuttle over to the airport.  And, the pool's very nice, too!!


Well, that's about it for today, but I'm going to do a better job of updating.  I promise.  Or, I promise to try.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the whole needing both parent's permission to leave the country thing is pretty annoying! The issue of course is that Samuel and Currie are residents and not just US Citizens. I remember after my Dad died having to travel with a note from my Mom and a copy of my Dad's death certificate. Talk about annoying, especially when you are 20 years old! Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know. Sometimes (many times) all the silly bureaucracy seems like so much overkill.

    ReplyDelete