Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Technology. The Good and the Not-So-Good...

I love technology.  I think most people know that about me.  Whether it's building a cool, new computer, watching a movie on an iPod, ditching hard copy maps by using a GPS, or downloading books to my computer via Kindle for PC (at least until I actually have my own Kindle), I love technology.  But all that technology has a down side: it needs electricity to make it work.

And, therein lies my problem.  Last night I went to bed, having written a test for my 6th graders, converted it to Word 97-2003 format, and stashed a copy on my thumb drive so that all I'd have to do this morning is run to the office and print off 27 copies.  The problem?  The power went off at 1:32am and had not been restored when I got up and got ready this morning.  Ugh!  No power means no printer.  Well, I can deal with that.  I figured I'd just bring my laptop to class and read the questions to the kids as they wrote the answers on sheets of paper.  (That brought up a whole different set of problems, but I'll leave that for another post.)

I also had planned to go online this morning to look up some Scriptures on Bible Gateway, but again, no power means no internet.  OK, I could deal with that, too.  I borrowed a Strong's Concordance from Sandi and found the verses I was looking for.  Unfortunately, I couldn't look them up in the New Living Translation, which has become a version I use a lot for Chapel.  Still, I could deal.  Plus, I've resolved to buy a copy of the NLT when I get back to the States.

Showers were out of the question today, too.  Although we have our own well here, it uses a pump to get the water to faucets.  You know the rest of this story, I'm sure... No power means no pumps for the water.  OK, we keep more than a gallon of water in the fridge, so at least I could wash my face and brush my teeth.  See? I'm still dealing quite well with the whole no power thing.


Then it hit me:  No power means I can't brew any coffee.  Excuse me?  Those heavenly beans, picked at their peak ripeness and air roasted to perfection, called to me from the freezer. Taunting me. Teasing me.  Mocking me.  I managed to drown out the medium roast chorus escaping from the freezer and begrudgingly opened the refrigerator, pouring myself a glass of iced tea.  No, it really wasn't the same, but it would have to do.

I went over to the Center, where we were going to have our Chapel service (sans sound system) for the teachers and staff.  Mr. Alan shared this morning and I actually understood about 75% of what he said.  Wow!  That was a victory.

Then it was time for the 5th-10th grade Chapel.  Mr. Elvis, Miss Marjorie and Miss Cindy led a time of praise and worship, a cappella, and it went quite well.  When I was about to begin, I started in almost a whisper so that I could get the kids' attention.  It worked.  They saw my mouth moving, but couldn't hear what I was saying, so everyone needed to be quiet.  Then I was able to use my 'outdoor voice' so that I could share the Word of God with them.

Chapel service over, I headed to the 6th grade classroom.  As Mrs. Juanita opened the door, the power came back on!  There still wasn't time for me to print off their test, but at least they now had air conditioning!

No comments:

Post a Comment