Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Where's the Chicken?...

OK, this is kind of strange. No, make that very strange. Whole chickens have disappeared from the grocery stores here in Comayagua. After I returned last week, I went to the grocery store fully intending to buy a few whole chickens to roast in the Ronco™ Showtime Rotisserie & BBQ. Shameless plug, I know. But, hey, it's my blog.

Anyway, there were NO whole chickens at Del Corral, my 'usual' grocery store. Nada. Zip. None. They also only had just a little bit of frozen chicken parts. Very strange.

So I thought, "Well, maybe there's been a run on chickens. Some big party or something." I knew that wasn't the case but didn't dwell on it too much. I just went over to the meat counter and got a few thighs and legs to throw in the crock pot.

A few days later I was back at the grocery. Same thing. No whole chickens and very few packages of parts. Hmmm, now this really is a bit odd. Then I started thinking that maybe all the birds dropping out of the sky has had an effect on chickens here. Maybe.

Of course, it could also be some sort of organized way to constrain the supply and thus drive up prices when the chickens suddenly reappear. Time will tell.

I'll bet that when you go to the grocery store in the States none of you ever wonder if there will actually be any chickens to buy. Just another thing to let me know that I'm "not in Kansas any more."

No comments:

Post a Comment