Saturday, December 12, 2009

Fresh Fruit Rulz...

Currie and Sandi (Samuel, too, of course) returned to Honduras yesterday.  They got back home to Comayagua just before 6pm.  Jenny and I were just finishing up our dinner, so we went out to greet them, help them unload about a million suitcases and just sit and talk.  It's amazing; they left here 6 1/2 weeks ago, with suitcases loaded with coffee and other things for friends and family in the States.  They returned with one more suitcase than they left with, and their suitcases were filled with food, gifts, and requested items for people here.  I think they even packed some clothes, but I can't be sure.

This morning I went over there about 9am or so and talked with Sandi for a while.  I was getting ready to walk down to the post office and wanted to see if she needed me to pick up anything while I was in the mercado.  Well, she needs lots of groceries, so she decided not to load me down with stuff since I would be en pie (on foot).  Then I had a great idea: I asked Sandi if Samuel might want to go with me.  I thought that would have a double benefit: get Samuel out of the house for a while while Sandi continued to unpack and get the family settled, plus, it would get Samuel a little exercise and fresh(?) air.

Within less than 200 yards of our walking, Samuel said, "Wow!  I think we're going to be walking for miles and miles today."  I told him that it would probably be about 3 miles, round trip.  When I told him that the post office was behind the cathedral, he thought we should be driving instead of walking.  But, I convinced him that the walk would be fun. I learned today that while I love to do it, Samuel thinks walking through the mercado is boring.


We arrived at Parque Central and looked at the Christmas tree that's been put up, then we went to go get something cold to drink.  Even at 10am it was pretty warm (80° or more) and very, very sunny.  So, I got us some drinks and then we went outside to sit at a table in the shade for a bit.  When we started to walk behind the cathedral toward the post office, we decided to go into the cathedral for a few minutes.  Then we were on our way.


I'm so glad I went to the post office today.  I got THREE Christmas cards, from the ladies in the Monday night Bible study in Lawrence, AND a package from Sharon.  That was so cool!  Samuel and I sat on the step outside the post office so that I could open my cards.  I decided not to open the package until we were back home.


On our way home, we stopped for some fruit at my friend Walter's stand.  I bought two sandias (watermelons) and some uvas (grapes).  Samuel started carrying one of the watermelons, but I knew that wouldn't last long.  It didn't.  Soon, I was carrying both sandias and the uvas, but I did have Samuel carry my package, since it wasn't too heavy.


Having such incredible fresh fruits and vegetables available is wonderful.  This afternoon, I devoured two mandarinas (tangerines).  Later tonight, fresh green beans are on the menu.  I don't know what's going with them, but I'll figure something out.  The sandias I bought?  I gave one to Sandi and have the other one here in the house.  I'm thinking, if it makes it that long, it might end up as jugo (juice).  That's if it doesn't get eaten before I get around to throwing it in the blender.  I had every intention of making licuados (smoothies) out of the cantelopes I've been buying.  Care to venture a guess as to how many cantelope licuados I've made?  That's right: exactly zero.  Somehow, the cantelope just doesn't seem to last that long.  Oh, I can hardly wait until mango season!!

No comments:

Post a Comment