Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I Wonder While I Walk...

OK, not really, but it kind of sounds like a Christmas Carol, right?

This morning, after my student didn't show up for our last day of class, I walked down to the post office.  I've been waiting for a letter from Mom.  It arrived sometime between my last visit on Friday and today.  It's amazing how exciting a letter can be.  Especially when it's got photos and even $5 in it.  Thanks, Mom!!

I always love walking through the mercado.  When the merchants see a gringa coming they seem to get more excitement and animation in their voices as they hawk their wares.  But, let's face it, just how exciting can they make cubitos (bullion cubes) or cinturĂ³ns (belts) sound?  After getting the mail, I stopped to buy some fruit.  I picked up a couple of mandarinas (tangerines) for 2 Lps each and then bought 3 minimos (bananas) for 1 Lp each.  From there I stopped by Walter's booth and bought 3 melones (cantelopes) for a total of 40 Lps.  So, for just less than $2.50 I have a nice pile of fruit for a day or two.

While walking back, I saw that one of my neighbors is doing some kind of addition to his house.  He had about 5 kids helping him.  I recognized one of them as a regular at the Center, so as I was walking by I stopped and commented that he had lots of assistants to help.  He said, "Yes, lots of help."  The boy who I recognized saw that I had a bag of melones and asked me for one.  Well, I decided I could part with a cantalope and asked him if he would share.  He said, "yes" and then started to take the melon.  The other kids started clamoring for one as well, and I told them that it was to share.  Then I cupped my hand to my ear, as if I was waiting to hear something.  The boy said, "thank you", and the man, who I think might be the boy's father, nodded approvingly at me for wanting a 'thank you'.  I think all the kids were pretty shocked that I would give them a melon.

Giving away the fruit may have been a mistake that will haunt me later.  It's entirely possible that every time I walk by with groceries the kids will ask me for something.  Still, I like to think that I was just being nice to the neighborhood kids.  Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment