Monday, January 4, 2010

Awesome Day at the Post Office...

What a great day to go to the post office.  I got two more Christmas cards AND a huge package.  OK, the package wasn't just for me, but it was HUGE.  As I was waiting in line to get my package, a little boy wanted to see the picture that was in one of my cards.  I told him that the little boy in the picture was 4 years old and was quickly told that the boy I was talking to was 7.  I then found out that he's in second grade and loves playing video games.  I really felt like I had struck gold when, while retrieving my package was told to walk through the door behind me.  That led to the 'inner sanctum' of the post office and I was soon on the other side of the window.  While I was walking down the corridor, I was thinking how something like this would never happen in the US: a customer would not be allowed behind the counter to get their own package.  But there I was, behind the counter, getting my own package.

After the post office, I walked around the corner, with my cards and package, to the souvenir shop.  The last of the carteras de churros (hand bags/purses made from chips bags) that Sandi and I ordered were in. They are made by some ladies, single moms and widows, in one of the surrounding mountain villages of Comayagua.  We ordered 125 total, and when the lady found out about the ordered, she cried, saying that "now her kids will get to have Christmas."

Basically, these bags are made out of empty chips bags.  They are an awesome example of the ingenuity of people to make a treasure out of trash.  And, they are the primary means of support for a group of single moms and widows here.  I am planning to bring some back to the States to sell, if people are interested.  They would make a great gift and are definitely a conversation piece.  I use one as a pencil case.  See what you think...


From this:


To this:
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment