Monday, September 7, 2009

Power/No Power... Internet/No Internet...

I actually wrote this yesterday afternoon, during a storm, and had planned to post it last night, but our internet has been down pretty much since then. It was back up for about 30 minutes this afternoon, then down again... Typical.
==========================
It’s raining outside. I mean, really raining. Dogs, cats, and maybe a few iguanas. So I thought this would be a perfect time to write for a while. The internet is down right now, so I’ll upload this later. And… there goes the power. I figured that might happen so I just spent a few minutes chopping vegetables so that I can make some rice later. Once again, I’m thankful that I cook with propane; even when the power is out, I can still cook. Yesterday’s power outage was four hours long, but that was a planned one and we got a little bit of notice for it.

This morning, Currie, Sandi, Samuel, and I went to church over at the military base. It was my first time there since being back in Honduras. Because the Americans stationed there rotate through on 6 or 12 month tours, there was only one familiar face: Carlos, the Honduran guitar player. Even all the civilians were new. Oh well, now it’s a chance to develop new relationships. After church we went to the dining facility with a couple who work at Hogar de Niños Nazaret, the Nazarene Children’s Home, which is actually a Catholic home. (Huh?) Sandi & Currie know them. The chaplain and another soldier joined us, as well. Joshua leaves for the States and his next assignment on Tuesday and the chaplain leaves at the end of this month. This is something I’ll need to get used to.

Yesterday, Sandi and I went to go get some prepaid cell phones for the Center. They’ll be given out on Friday, during our día del niño celebration (day of the child). We also went to Sahara, the closest thing Comayagua has to a dollar store. I was looking for a super cheap dish drain to use until my stuff gets here. I ended up buying one for a little over $2 at Del Corral, the grocery store.

Well, the rain has pretty much ended, but the power is still out. I’m listening to dogs bark, roosters crow and thunder rumble in the distance – it’s actually quite a pleasant sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment