Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Now I've Seen Everything... Literally!!!

Sandi, Samuel and I left for San Pedro Sula yesterday morning, around 10:30. We were just pulling out of the gate in back when Sandi got a call that our Digicel rep had showed up. He was supposed to be here at 8am, so I guess he was right on time for a Honduran. He was here so that I could sign up for cell phone service. Well, I think we have that all taken care of and my phone should arrive tomorrow afternoon. We'll see if it actually does.

So, anyway, then we were back on the road, headed for SPS. We stopped in Siquatepeque to buy some coffee. Not just any ol' coffee, but Luis' coffee. It's fantastic. I bought 3 lbs., so I'll be set for a while. Don't worry, I'm sure I'll bring some back when I visit the States!!

We arrived in SPS, checked into Villa Nuria, an Apart Hotel -- pretty much an efficiency hotel with 2 bedrooms, kitchen/dining area, fridge, pots, pans, plates, etc.. We spent some time swimming in their beautiful pool, then back to the room for showers and a trip to PriceSmart. I told you before: most trips to the big cities include a trip to PriceSmart. Then it was back to our place for dinner. Samuel went to bed and while Sandi and I were sitting there talking, Currie called and said that he was stuck overnight in Ft. Lauderdale because Spirit had cancelled his night flight in to SPS because of the curfew. THERE IS NO CURFEW!!! At least not anymore. Now, Currie would be arriving at 12 noon on Wednesday. Oh well, life in Honduras... So, Sandi made some popcorn and we turned on the TV and watched Terminator 2.

This morning was breakfast, pool and then airport. We got there and then found out that the Spirit flight wasn't coming in until 1:30pm. Yup, typical. Well, Currie arrived and was quickly through immigrations and even faster through customs since he only had his carryon and his laptop. (As an aside, I have no idea how Currie was in the States for a month with only a carryon's worth of stuff!! Ladies, you know that we couldn't do that.)

Now, here's the part you've been waiting for. The thing that threw me for a loop. As we were leaving SPS, we all, except for Samuel, thankfully, got an eyeful. We were stopped at a light, several cars back, when we saw someone cross the street. Well, we didn't actually see them until they were on our side, walking away from us. But, this person was buck naked. No clothes. Nothing. Not in a hurry, just walking, cars and people everywhere. As we got closer, we all realized it wasn't a guy as we first suspected, but a woman. Yup. A woman. She was walking as if she hadn't a care in the world. I mentioned that I had NEVER seen that in Honduras (or anywhere else, for that matter) before. Sandi and Currie then told me that there are at least two guys here in Comayagua who walk around like that. I'm hoping I don't run into them!

Looks like there's never a dull moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment