Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Costa a Costa 2014 -- Day 0 -- The Bus Ride to La Ceiba



The day had finally arrived.  My bags were packed; I was ready to go!  Last year’s Costa a Costa didn’t turn out so well for me since I tore a ligament in my knee at the end of Day 3 and couldn’t finish the ride.  This year I was determined to do better.  I had done a lot of training while in Florida.  Yeah, it was all in the flats, but miles are miles!

Gloria picked me up at 8:00am.  We were told to be at Wendy’s, ready to go, at 8:30, so we gave ourselves plenty of time.  Jorge, Gloria’s husband, and Roman were actually riding their bikes from  Siguatepeque to La Ceiba – in one day.  They had left at 4:00am.  Jan, Gloria and Jorge’s son, Frederico, and I would be the three from Comayagua taking the bus.  

Naturally, we were early for the bus and stood there waiting and talking.  After a bit, Gloria called Claudia and found out that the bus had not left Tegucigalpa at 7:00am as planned, but at 8:30.  Ah, Honduras…  So we knew we would be waiting a while.  Then a bit later, Claudia called Gloria and told her that the bus wasn’t going to come in to Comayagua, that we should meet them at the highway entrance to Comayagua.  That was all well and good since Gloria was there, but if I had gone with my original plan, which was to be dropped off at Wendy’s in the morning, it would have been more than a bit difficult for me to get myself, my bike, and my luggage to the new rendezvous point.
We had just gotten the bikes down from the pick-up truck when Gloria got the call, so then we loaded up Jan’s bike, my bike, and now, Frederico’s bike into the truck to head to the new pick up location. Once there, it was just a matter of putting luggage and bikes on the truck and then get on the bus.  Since my bike is new, I made sure I oversaw its loading.  Definitely not the way we do it in the States.  I’m glad I had taken the time to wrap so much of my bike.  I also brought some bungee cords to secure it better to the truck.

Although this picture is from later in the week, it's near where we met the bus.


Another funny thing happened when we met up with the bus and truck: Pablo, one of our bus drivers from last year asked me, almost right away, if I had any hex keys.  I did and pulled a brand new set out of my bag.  They needed it to make some adjustments on one of the busses – the other one, not the one I got on.  I just found it funny, or maybe interesting is a better word, that Pablo asked me, not anyone else among the group, for the tools.

After leaving Comayagua, our next stop was Siguatepeque.  After loading up the group from there, we got back on the road at 11:10am – more than 2 hours later than scheduled.  Ah, Honduras…
Once I got on the bus, I started seeing some people I had met the year before.  And more familiar faces joined in at Siguat.  The rest of the ride was fairly uneventful.  We stopped in El Progreso to pick up our lunches (hamburgers and fries) and then a few minutes later we stopped at the mall there to pick up the last of the group.  This group included many from San Pedro Sula and a group of Canadians who had come down for the tour.

When we arrived in La Ceiba, it was raining fairly hard.  But we had an event to do – the first one of the week.  After all, Costa a Costa is a ride put on by Transformemos Honduras, with the goal of raising awareness of education in the country.  At each event, several of the top public school students in math and science were honored.  They received various gifts and prizes: books, scholarship money, a bicycle, and others.

At the conclusion of the event, we got back on the busses and headed for the Mennonite Campamento outside of town.  The first order of business was dinner and then an introductory meeting.  In addition to all the Hondurans, there were people from Canada, Grand Rapids, MI, and New Jersey.

Later, while getting settled in the dorm (think: one big room with about 15 sets of bunk beds), I noticed that the girl in the bunk next to me was just sitting on her bed, with her knees pulled up to her chest and her arms wrapped around them.  She did not look happy.  A few minutes later, she was still pretty much in the same position and that was when I noticed that she hadn’t put any sheets or anything on the bed.  I asked her if she had brought bed clothes.  She hadn’t.  So, without hesitation I took my sheet and just tossed it over to her and told her she could use it, but that I didn’t have an extra blanket or pillow.  The sheet was enough, and brought a huge smile to her face, and a sense of relief.  I learned that her name is Karin and that she is from Siguatepeque.  Once the ride got under way, I would also learn that she was one of the fast racers.

It rained, sometimes very hard, for most of the night.  I was just hoping and praying – lots of praying – that it would stop before we started to ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment