Friday, January 17, 2014

Day 2 -- Tela to San Pedro Sula



62 miles

I awoke to the all-too-familiar sound of rain.  Again.  And started praying.  Again.  The thought of riding in the rain anywhere is not a lot of fun.  Add to it the ‘extra’ hazards of riding in Honduras and it can become downright suicidal.  The night before, I had brought my bike into my hotel room so that I could clean it up a bit and also keep it dry from the predicted rain.  The bikes were being stored outside, with no overhang so it was apparent I made a good decision.  Again.

Breakfast was good and it was nice to sit out on the covered patio, watching the waves hit the beach.  After breakfast, it was time to put all our luggage on the buses for the day.

By the time we were ready to ride, there was only a light mist falling on us and it seemed pretty evident that it would stop.  We only rode together as a group for 10km (6.2 miles) because the race portion of the day was shorter.

Leaving Tela, that's me in the blue & white jersey, second from left
 
It was determined that the Furiosos would start first, and then the Rapidos and racers would start a few minutes later.  This was to help have the slower people finish a little closer in time to the faster ones.  

[Aside: A few years ago on this tour, it became lovingly divided into two groups of riders: “Los rapidos” and “Los furiosos”.  (The fast and the furious) Los furiosos were, obviously, not as fast, but they were just as determined.  The names stuck and now it is even a designation of which bus we put our luggage on, for support purposes.  Me?  Well since you asked, yes, I’m a furioso.  OK, a furiosa.]

So, back to my story…  The furiosos were going to leave first. And we did!  I set a nice pace for myself and soon found I was in a paceline of about 5 or 6 people.  We had a good thing going.  And then we hit an unexpected longer hill.  And I got dropped.  Again.  Oh, well; it was nice while it lasted.  We had been pushing it out a bit so I really wasn’t upset.  In fact, as I was finally cresting that hill, the mirror on my sunglasses fell off, landing precariously on my left foot.  It fell onto the highway while I unclipped and stopped the bike.  I wanted to run back to it before a car smashed it into oblivion.  I’m sure I was quite the sight to the locals nearby: silly gringa, placing her bike on the ground, running back down the highway a bit, with her hand gesturing to the oncoming cars to move to their left to avoid some unseen obstacle.  Yeah, that’s how I roll!

With my mirror safely (or so I thought) back on my glasses, I got back on the bike and continued down the road.  I was making great progress.  Before too long, two of the girls who were racing joined up with me.  We rode together for the balance of the ride.  After a few minutes, I pulled in front of them and encouraged them to draft behind me since they were racing.  That worked well and they were glad for the break.  When the finish line was in sight, I pulled off and just yelled at them to “GO!!!”  I kept yelling ‘til they were across the line.  Then I crossed the line.  And went back across the line so I could get a picture.

I was told that this wasn't a "staged" picture, but a "recreated" one
 
We waited for everyone else to arrive and when JoAnn arrived, I was pretty tickled when she told me that after the start, Don Esteban had come up to her and said, “Let’s go catch Susan.”  Don Esteban did, a bit later.

Once everyone was at the finish line, we proceeded as a group the next couple of miles into El Progreso for the event there. During the ride to El Progreso, my mirror fell of my glasses again.  Really strange.  I’ve been using that same style of mirror for years and have never had that happen.  Now, it had happened twice in one day.  Once retrieved, I kept the mirror in my back pocket for the rest of the day.  I’d use tape of some sort to affix it a bit more permanently to my glasses.  The idea of riding without a mirror is worse to me than riding without a helmet – and I never ride without a helmet!

After the event, it was time for lunch, then back on our bikes.  From El Progreso we were headed to San Pedro Sula – about another 20 miles away.  We also rode that as a group, making it much safer to enter such a large city by bicycle.  Cars, trucks, and motorcycles show bikes absolutely no respect.
After the event in San Pedro, we were off to a campamento just a few miles away.  We got settled in our rooms, showered, and then dinner.  Pretty much the routine on so many days. Oh, and I found someone with some duct tape and fastened my mirror onto my sunglasses in true geek fashion.

Riding en masse between El Progreso and San Pedro Sula

No comments:

Post a Comment