Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Day 7 -- Tegucigalpa to San Lorenzo


38  miles.

I woke up to the amazing aroma of fresh-baked bread.  You can’t beat fresh bread for breakfast!

Then on to the bus.  We were all meeting at the Texaco on the edge of Tegucigalpa, on the way to San Lorenzo.  The plan was for the racers to leave from the Texaco, and the rest of us to drive a bit more to the top of the 12km hill.

As we were getting toward the top of the mountain, I saw something I’d never seen in Honduras before: windmills.  Honest-to-goodness windmills – the kind used to harness energy.  Stepping off the bus, it was obvious that it was a wind farm.  Not as big as the ones in western Kansas, but a wind farm.  In Honduras.  I later found out that it is the largest wind farm in Central America.  Pretty cool, indeed!

Who knew?  A wind farm in Honduras.  Not the best picture, but you get the idea.
OK, with our bikes off the truck and given the once over, it was time to get going.  All the climbing that the racers did?  We’d start out at the top of the mountain and have about 7 miles of downhill before beginning a little bit of rolling hills.  The day had lots of downhill as we descended to San Lorenzo and sea level.  The expected high in San Lorenzo was supposed to be 97°.

Starting out on our descent, I just wasn’t as psyched as I should have been.  I mean, it’s great to go downhill right away, isn’t it?  Except that this was very unfamiliar road to me.  Unfamiliar twists and turns, with all-too-familiar Honduran driving habits.  So, I had the bike reigned it pretty tightly, rarely getting about 30 or 35mph.  I could actually feel the temperature rising as the bike descended.

The road eventually flattened out and then began taking a few ups and downs as we continued on.  The scenery changed quite substantially; it was becoming quite dry and desert-like in this part of the country. I pedaled on.  And on.

Finally, I said, “Enough.”  I was done.  My head just wasn’t in it.  My near miss with a semi the day before had wreaked havoc on me.  So I climbed off the bike and waited.  It was kind of a Forrest Gump moment.  I only had to wait a minute or two before a pickup truck pulled over to see what was going on.  It was Mario, from Guatemala.  I told him I was done riding for the day and we put my bike in the back and I got in the cab.  

I had met Mario’s two sons the year before on the tour and it was nice to get to spend some time talking with Mario.  He’s a pastor in Guatemala, so we had a lot of things we could talk about.  It was a very enjoyable time.  Plus, I got to really use my Spanish.

We got to the finish line of the day and I got my bike down.  Then we waited for more of the riders to come in.  It was warm so I walked to a nearby pulpería and bought a bottle of Coca Cola. There was a bit of a party atmosphere at the end.  Someone handed me some watermelon, which I gladly accepted.

Enjoying watermelon at the end of the ride
 After a while, we made our way over to the hotel where lunch was being served.  We were offered a choice of two meals: sopa de mariscos (seafood soup) or pescado frito (fried, whole fish).  I had heard about the sopa at this place and there was no doubt in my mind that was what I was ordering.  I was not disappointed.  Not at all.  It was absolutely incredible!  Even just the fish stock was packed with flavor.

Awesome sopa de mariscos
With lunch finished, we headed to the park for the day’s event.  By this time, it seemed like most people just wanted to get on the buses and head back to Tegucigalpa.  Before long, we were doing just that.

It had been an awesome week.  One filled with fun and frustration.  Good times and bad.  But, thankfully, the good GREATLY outweighed the bad.

In the words of Arnold:  “I’ll be back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment