Saturday, January 18, 2014

Day 3 -- San Pedro Sula to Sant Cruz de Yojoa

39 miles.



This was the first of several “not so pleasant” riding days for me.  It rained.  All day.  Many times there was very poor visibility.  There was no doubt I’d be riding with my jacket on.  Plus, it was colder, so the jacket was welcome.

We started out at 7:00am from the campamento after a sub sandwich breakfast.  Yes, I know that  sound odd as breakfast food, but, honestly, it was quite good.  Plus, it’s filling and easy to digest – which are good things for “bike food”.

Leaving San Pedro Sula
Once again we started out all together – in rush-hour traffic in San Pedro Sula.  That made for a few upset car drivers, but it worked well to keep us safe.  At the point where the racers started, it looked like we would have some good highway with a nice shoulder to ride on.  We did.  For about a mile before the road detoured onto some pretty dicey road.  Lots of mud, no shoulder, high traffic, and rain.  Ah, Honduras…  Nothing much to do but tuck your head and ride.  And so I did.  I was riding much slower, respecting the rain, and being passed by lots of people.

Abe, Levi, and Michael -- cycling from Paraguay back home to Indiana
 
I was thankful for the mirror on my glasses so that I could keep an eye on the vehicles coming up from behind. It was very foggy and I was concerned about visibility.  I was wearing my HiVis yellow jacket, but that was only a minimal comfort.  More than occasionally vehicles were going to be passing too closely, and at least I would have a chance to steady my bike from the backdraft.  This went on for too long for my comfort.  To say that I wasn’t enjoying myself too much would be a bit of an understatement.

Right at the 30-mile point, I was at La Barca.  The road gets wider there and there is a pretty decent shoulder. Oh, and a hill. Nine miles long.  Yes, from La Barca all the way to the turnoff for Santa Cruz de Yojoa it’s all uphill.  Actually, it’s still more uphill past the turnoff, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

The hill’s not steep, just long.  So you climb, and climb, and climb.  And then climb some more.  Being able to ride on the shoulder was good because this stretch of road is completely straight and cars, trucks, and buses go as fast as possible here to make up for any time they’ve lost on any other part of their journey.  Or, just because they can go fast.

Cars, trucks, and bikes -- together in the rain
Just past the turnoff to Santa Cruz de Yojoa I decided that I had had enough.  My knees were hurting just a bit and I was cold.  Thankfully, that was right about the time the bus was coming up behind me.  As they pulled over, I told them I was done for the day.  My bike was put on the accompanying pickup truck which already had 3 or 4 bikes on it.

We got to Naturaleza, at the lake, and it was time to find my luggage and rummage through it for some dry clothes.  That didn’t really take too long since I knew which bus my things were on.  I changed and then completely rinsed out my cycling shoes – they were covered with mud.  Oh, and speaking of mud… I have never, ever, ever had mud and sand on the INSIDE of my cycling shorts before.  But there it was when I changed. And if mud and sand were inside my shorts, then… Um, never mind.

Lunch was being served at Naturaleza.  We waited for the final folks to come in, dry off, eat, etc..  We had a bit of time to wait before getting on the buses and heading back up to Santa Cruz de Yojoa, where the day’s event was.  It was also determined that our bikes would stay at Naturaleza overnight since that was our starting point the next day.  Good decision!

Last year, the event in Santa Cruz was awesome!  A big ol’ party!  It was also where I tore the ligament in my knee when I slipped in the rain.  This year, it had to be held inside because of the rain, but the town still put on the Ritz for us.  They offered us some little appetizers and hot coffee when we got there and had some great dancers lined up to entertain us.

After the presentation, we got on our buses based on where our sleeping destination was: Panacam or El Cortijo del Lago.  Neither place was large enough for the whole group, so we divided.  I had chosen El Cortijo.  When we got there, it was too dark to see just how beautiful the place was, but our rooms were clean.  Very clean.

I took my shower and then set all of my wet clothes in front of the fan that was near my bed.  I was hoping to get things dry enough to put in my bag without worrying about them growing.  I was also trying to get my shoes dry enough to wear in the morning.  I succeeded on both.

Dinner was nice.  Afterwards, everyone just stayed at the tables and enjoyed each others’ company.  Soon, someone was singing for the group, followed by some others, then some stories.  It was kind of like being at camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment