Monday, January 20, 2014

Day 5 -- Siguatepeque to Comayagua

25 miles



There was no rush today.  None at all.  Breakfast at 8:00am, but not leaving Siguat until 11:00am for an easy roll down into Comayagua.  And no rain!!

So, with breakfast over, bike cleaned and ready to go, luggage on the bus, I made my way to the Texaco that would be the starting point of the morning.  It was decided that there’d be no racing today because it was mostly downhill and the organizers wanted to keep people safe.

The ladies, posing for a photo
The ladies all came to the front of the group for several photos and then we rolled out.  It really is a lot of fun to ride together in such a big group.  A little bit of hill climbing just outside of town, and then the first of the major descending began.

And by major descending, I mean, fast!  I was riding the brakes to keep it at 40mph.  I actually love to go fast, but having lived in Honduras for a while, I know how oncoming vehicles take the blind curves.  I also know how vehicles coming up behind you pass and overtake, so I was being extremely cautious.  It wasn’t nearly as much fun as it could have been if I would have just opened it up, but it was still fun.  Mostly.
Leaving Siguatepeque as a group
 A little bit more climbing and then the final descent through the Virgin Curves and down into Comayagua. I found myself behind a truck that was going about 20mph, riding on his jake brake.  I wanted to pass him, but because of how sharp and blind the corners were, I thought it would be better to just ride behind him for a while.  Others, however, were not making the same decision and many cyclists and even some cars passed me while I was behind the truck.  I still thought I made the better decision.

Descending into Comayagua
Shortly after making it out of the mountains, we all regrouped to make the final ride in to Comayagua.  Riding together as a group had become one of my favorite parts of each day’s ride.  It seemed to reinforce the idea that we were “pedaling for education.”

As we arrived in town, the group made a left turn at the Texaco, but I kept going straight.  Enlaces, and home, was less than ½ mile ahead.  I made it home, grabbed a quick shower and then went to the hotel where the group was staying so that I could retrieve my luggage.  Then I went to Parque Central with the group to participate in the day’s event.

When the event was over, I went back home and started laundry.  I had planned to repack and only bring one small bag for the remaining two days of the ride.  Oh, and pizza.  I planned on eating pizza for dinner.  And I did!

Tomorrow? Tegucigalpa and more climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment