Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Creating Jobs Where None Exist...

Last Saturday, we were on our way back to Comayagua from La Paz.  We decided not to go back toward Ajuterique, but just take the road that would take us to the main highway more directly.  Unfortunately, that road is blocked off as you get close to the highway and you need to drive on a dirt road for about 3 or 4 miles.

The normal road is closed while the main highway is being worked on ~ rebuilt, resurfaced and rerouted, whichever is appropriate.  All the highway construction is a precursor to Honduras building the new international airport, which will be about 10 or 15 minutes away from us.  So, we all somewhat willingly put up with the crazy construction traffic, knowing that eventually we'll have a new airport here.  Oh, what a day that will be!!  But I digress...

All the construction has opened up "job" opportunities for anyone with a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit.  Many people travel to the main construction areas, the areas where vehicles often sit in long traffic delays, and sell food and drinks by the side of the road.

On Saturday, I saw something different.  The dirt road that we had to take would normally have almost no traffic on it, only those who lived along the road.  But now, that road is seeing LOTS  of traffic as people make their way between the highway and La Paz.  There's also a cement ditch running along the majority of that road.  It's filled with water, but I'm not sure what the source of the water is.  That doesn't matter.  The kids who live along that stretch of road have managed to find a way to make a little money.

Kids scoop water from the ditch and toss it onto the road, thus keeping down the dust and dirt quite a bit.  Whole stretches of road are moist from this, with the kids there alternately spraying water and yelling out "Pesos, pesos" with their hands extended, hoping to receive a Lempira or two.

As we drove, I asked Adam to slow down even more as I reached into my wallet and got out a few Lemps.  I rolled down the window and two little boys, about 4 or 5 years old, were immediately next to me.  I held out a 2 Lemp bill (10¢) to the first boy.  "Gracias" he said immediately.  I was so impressed that he thanked me, that I held out another Lemp for the other little guy.  Sure enough, he was right there with his "Gracias" as well.

I'm sure that within the next month, maybe less, the effected stretch of highway will be finished and the main road will open back up.  When that happens, there will no longer be any "business" for our little entrepreneurs.  In the meantime, I may just find a need to go back that way a few more times.  And I'll bring a small stack of 1 or 2 Lemp bills to help boost the local economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment