Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Kool-Aid Mom...

Growing up, did your neighborhood have a Kool-Aid mom?    You know, the house where all the kids congregated to play?  The mom who could always be counted on for Kool-Aid, a snack, or the bathroom?  Well, in my neighborhood, that was my mom.  "Mrs. Smith, can we have popsicles?"  "Sure, just remember to bring the plastic sticks back."

Last week it dawned on me that I'M the Kool-Aid mom around here.  "Susan, can we watch a movie?"  "Susan, is there any iced tea?"  "Susan, can we have some cookies?"  And I like it.  The kids of several of our staff members seem to gravitate over to my house during the day when school is not in session, and many days after school.

When the parents are ready to leave, if they can't find their kids, they come knocking on my door.

My latest kitchen adventure has been making paletas, homemade ice pops. They're so simple: fruit and water or milk.  Of course, that's just one more thing for the kids to enjoy.  "Susan, can we have a paleta?"

The kids come over to hang out in my hammock and talk.  "Susan, when are we going to start your classes again?"  I have been offering short classes for the children of our staff during the school break, to help keep their skills sharp.  Thankfully, they seem to love them.

I wonder if kids in the States even have Kool-Aid moms anymore.  It seems that kids just don't, or can't, play outside in the neighborhood like they used to.  More innocence lost.

So, here at Enlaces, I'm the Kool-Aid mom.  And that's TOTALLY okay with me!



No comments:

Post a Comment