Sunday, January 8, 2012

What a Great Day...

Before I get started with the main point of my post, I just want to say that I hope Blogger is playing well with others tonight.  Last night it took me forever to get my post formatted the way I wanted, including the photos.  As it was, I couldn't get the last one right and said, "Ah, screw it!"  (Pardon the French.)  I want to post more photos tonight, so my fingers are crossed ~ even though I don't believe in crossing fingers.

So, yeah, today was a great day.  It started off with a simple breakfast of pancakes, coffee and juice with Brenda and Adam.  Then, I had to go open the building for church and we had worship practice.  After I left the house, Brenda and Adam did the dishes for me.  Gotta love it!

Church was great, but I will admit that I was a bit distracted.  Quite a bit.  Earlier this week, I found out about an 8-day coast-to-coast bicycle tour in the country and they were supposed to be coming through Comayagua and doing a presentation in the park tonight at 8:00 pm.  I felt prompted this morning to check the website and I'm so glad I did:  the presentation in the park was moved to 12 noon and then they would be in La Paz at 4:00 this afternoon.  Before heading over to the Center to open it up, I got my motorcycle helmet and backpack together to leave right after church.  Right after I could get all the sound equipment put away, my guitar back to my house and everything locked up.

When I got to the park, our break dancers were performing.  OK, so they're not really "ours", but they spend so much time dancing here at Enlaces and have their Bible study here that the feel like "ours".  I'm sure I had a huge grin on my face as I was walking up to the gazebo.  Bikes. Helmets. Jerseys.  All over.  It made my heart soar.  Really, it did.  I mean, it was a bike tour and it's here in Honduras.  I had lots of questions to ask.

I was standing there, near the information table, and someone turned to me and asked, in Spanish, if I spoke English.  I said, "yes" and then she said, "Oh, I wasn't sure.  You looked like maybe you're from the States, but I also thought you might be Honduran."  That was a huge compliment to me.  Elise was one of the support team traveling with the group.  Score!  I could ask questions to my heart's content.  And I did.  I met several of the people that are supporting the group, and they all went to school at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI.  Small world.  I asked them about a friend of mine who is a professor there and several of them know his name.

It's a very small group.  There are only about 45 riders this year. And they represent all skill levels and all bike styles. I talked with some of the riders and found out that there were even some professionals riding, using the trip as training.  It's an annual trip, so I signed up for the email list for next year.  Seriously, I'm stoked to find out about an event like this.  I even bought one of the jerseys.  Heck, they were only L.410 ($21).  When was the last time you bought a cycling jersey for $21?  I'll be sporting it at AMBA this year!!

Well, here are a few photos I took today.


From left, Jill, woman whose name I didn't get, Elise, and Amy. They are all part of the support team.  The husband of the woman in green is riding and he's a professor at Calvin College.
Doesn't matter the country, cell phones are everywhere!


Just seeing all the bikes got my heart racing.

A couple of guys relaxing and watching the entertainment.  (No the pink bike was not being ridden by one of the group members.)

And, no, Blogger is not playing well with others tonight and is being super persnickety about me inserting photos.  Maybe it's time for WordPress?  Feel free to weigh in if you have any opinions about blog hosting sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment