Sunday, November 29, 2009

Elections...

Honduras held its elections today.  The day has been peaceful and violence-free, which is a tremendous answer to prayer.  Mel Zelaya, the former (ousted) president, had been trying to stir up his supporters, to boycott the elections and inciting them to violence.  It looks like his efforts failed.  According to early results, Pepe Lobo, the guy from the Nationalist party, is leading so far.  Final results won't be in until Wednesday -- or so I'm told.

This afternoon I needed to go over to the Esso for some Coca Cola.  The highway was quite empty.  Not as completely empty as during the toque de queda, though.  I was very aware of the peaceful feeling of the nation.  It was palpable as I walked back across the street to Enlaces.

Because of the elections, groups were not allowed to meet.  That meant churches as well as university classes that are usually held on Sundays.  So, instead of church, the pastor and his family came over here for lunch after they voted.  Antonio and Esperanza are Jenny's future in-laws, too.  We all had a great time, and a great meal of fish, baked potatoes, and green beans.  Brownies and ice cream for dessert rounded out the meal.

Jenny doesn't have school tomorrow, because of today's elections, so we're going to visit las cuevas de Taulabe (the caves of Taulabe). Mariel and her boys are going to join us.  It should be a lot of fun.  It's been about 13 years since I've been to the caves.  I'm also going to show them the mission there where I first came, back in 1995.  Yes, I'll have the camera with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment