Sunday, November 15, 2009

It's Been a Long Day...

It's after 10pm while I'm starting to write this, and it's been a long day.  Really long.  I left the house about 7:30 this morning to open up classrooms for the nursing students who are meeting here on Sundays during November.  Then, I opened up the Center and got things read.  y for the church that meets here.  Rosie got here a few minutes before 8am and immediately started getting some sandwiches ready.  That was a good thing, because by 8:10, a few people were already asking to buy food. 

Church was good this morning.  But, the guy who taught was inconsistent with his microphone placement, so I had to really stay on top of it at the sound board.  That made it difficult for me to actually listen to what he was saying.  Sometimes I feel like my Spanish skills are "one step forward, two steps back".

It seemed that no sooner had the final "Amen" been said than we had teens arriving for the break dance competition being held at the Center today.  They were actually quiet and respectful, and waited for us to mop the floor before they started setting up for their contest.  We had a ton of people here for the contest.  It was great.  Everyone seemed to have a lot of fun and I took about 150 photos.  Some of these kids are incredible dancers, or I guess I should say, they've got mad skilz.




Tonight, after most of the break dancers left, the Center was still super busy.  Everyone knew that we were giving away the final Christmas tree tonight.  In order to get a ticket, they needed to buy 15 Lempira's worth of food.  Drinks don't count.  We had some really awesome food on offer today: tajaditas, nachos, and fried chicken.  And Rolyn was really pushing the food.  He made it lots of fun.  The family that won the Christmas tree tonight is from Tegucigalpa.  I asked the mom if she had tree at home.  She said, "No."  I'm really happy for them and their tree.

Tomorrow will probably be another long day.  I'm going to Tegucigalpa, to Immigrations, to try to get an extension on my visa since my carnet de residencia is not available yet.  On our way to Immigrations, we're going to pick up Jenny.  She left for Teguc today because she needs to go to the US Embassy tomorrow to get more pages for her passport.  I guess they only do that from 8:00 -- 11:30am.  I imagine we'll also go to PriceSmart and Hiper Pais.  It would hardly be a trip to Teguc without going to PriceSmart!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment