Thursday, November 5, 2009

It's Thursday...

It's Thursday, the penultimate (I love that word) day of the regular school year for us. Most of the kids are absolutely bouncing off the walls. Many of them still have a lot of PACEs to finish, but no one seems to care. There's definitely a party atmosphere around here. So, I think I'm going to do my part and contribute to the organized mayhem. I found out yesterday, that my 7th graders are expecting a pizza party from me today. I told them, "No, but you can expect a quiz."

Well, I decided to dump the quiz idea -- they're not getting a grade from me this year, anyway -- and give them a little party. LITTLE. My class with them is at 8:30am, so even if I wanted to, pizza is out. I have some pop in the fridge, and earlier this morning I went over to the Esso to get some chips. I know at least two of them will complain that there's no pizza, but they'll drink the pop and eat the chips anyway.

I'm sure I'll do something similar tomorrow for my 6th graders. When word of this gets out, my 8th graders will feel slighted: they had a quiz! I'll find a way to make it up to them.

Next week is their 'recuperation week'. The students will have one final week to finish all their school work. If they don't finish within that time, they will need to attend summer school (though, it's not summer here), for which there is a fee. That alone should motivate the students, or their parents, to make sure the work gets done in a timely manner. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment