Thursday, November 12, 2009

Good Intentions...

Yes, I really do mean to update my blog more often, like every 2 or 3 days, but somehow it seems that the best of intentions just don't work out according to my plans.  Sometimes, though, that's a good thing!

Take yesterday, for example:  I'm still waiting to get my residency carnet, but in the meantime, it looks like I will need to get a 30-day extension of my visa.  I was going to do that yesterday.  Daya said she'd go with me to the local immigrations office, so I got the truck (Sandi & Currie's truck) and brought it around to the front of the school.  I went back into the school to see if Daya was ready, and she asked if I knew exactly where the office was.  Well, I know approximately, but not exactly.  No one else seemed to know exactly where it was either.  Then I had a great idea ~~ we could just ask a taxista.  If anyone will know, a guy driving a taxi will.  Just then one of the mom's came in and I asked her.  She told me that we don't have an immigrations office anymore.  She said there was one at the base.  OK, guess I'm not taking care of that today.  So, I got back in the truck and brought it inside the back gate.  I ended up asking Charley and he said that 'yes' we still had an office and 'yes' asking a taxista is the best thing.

Within a few minutes of me being back in the house, Daya came over telling me that there were some North Americans looking for me.  Hmmm, I've been expecting a group to come by for a tour, but they were supposed to call first.  It was the group.  We had a great visit together, even if most of them were from Missouri!  Or maybe that's WHY we had a great visit.  They wanted to see the ministry here and hear about all the things we do.  I started by telling them that if things had gone according to MY plans, I would have left for the immigrations office 15 minutes earlier, so their visit was definitely a "God thing".  It really was a great visit.

Today, since I was reconvinced that there is an immigrations office in Comayagua, I asked Daya if she thought my Spanish was good enough to go there by myself.  She said, 'yes' but then told me she would go with me since she lives in that general area.  OK.  Cool!  From there, I went over to Mrs. Juanita's 5th grade class to see if I could help her, since she has such a large class.  I helped for a while until recess.

Then, during recess, Mrs. Juanita's son, Juan Francisco, fell while playing fĂștbol.  It turns out that he broke his elbow and needs surgery to have screws put in it  ~~ just like what happened to Isaac two weeks ago.

So, after recess and after lunch I was in the 5th grade class.  School was supposed to be over at 2pm, but one of the girls wanted to take a math test.  I told her I would stay.  While Nahomy was taking her test, I saw Daya leave for the day.  Darn!  I waited while Nahomy finished her test, then graded it and gave her her next PACE.  Then I went over to the school to see if anyone else was there.  Hermes was in his office.  He also thinks my Spanish is just fine to go to immigrations by myself, but said that he'd be glad to go with me.  So, once again, I got out the truck and brought it around to the front.

Then, I saw that Luis, from Siguatepeque, was in the bodega (warehouse).  He was picking up some supplies that he is going to take to El Salvador for the people who have lost everything in the floods and mudslides.  I went in to talk to him for a while.  Hermes came out looking for me, saw Luis, and also ended up talking to him.  After a bit, the conversation turned to my trip to immigrations.  Luis told me that 'no', there is no office in Comayagua anymore and that I'll need to go to Tegucigalpa.  It looks like Hermes and I will do that on Monday.  Luis also gave me several names and phone numbers in case we have any difficulties Monday.  We shouldn't, but this is Honduras, and good intentions...

No comments:

Post a Comment