Friday, November 6, 2009

The Problem With Dirt Roads...

...is that during rain they become mud roads. Quickly. Although it's sunny right now, we've had a lot of rain lately. It's actually our rainy season right now. Normally that means that it rains at night. Sometimes we can even watch the rain descend from the mountains. It's pretty cool.

Yesterday it rained most of the day, and last night I found out why: Hurricane Ida. Ida hit Nicarauga and started heading up toward the Honduran border. Thankfully, she hit in the extreme eastern part of the country. Even more thankfully, Ida was quickly downgraded to a tropical storm.

But the mud! Yesterday morning when I walked across the street to the Esso station, I had to dodge all the mud and mud ridges right in front of our property. Because parents, taxis and busitos drop off kids in front of the school, when the ground is soft due to rain, we get lots and lots of mud ridges. That's what we have right now. When the sun comes out, those ridges get dried out and hardened, pretty much like cement. That makes driving fairly tedious. We've got a lot of that going on right now. All over town. You can't drive too fast because of all the mud ridges and pot holes.

Here at Enlaces, we apparently got a truckload of rock to put down in front. Wow, what a difference that makes. It was so much easier when I needed to walk across the highway today. A big "thank you" to whoever made that happen!

Oh, and, this morning, when I was walking over to the Esso, I think I may have seen my first Honduran transvestite. I tried not to be rude and stare, but that really caught my eye, probably because I was caught off guard. That's not something I particularly expected to see here in Comayagua.

1 comment:

  1. I think there are two transvestites in Comayagua. Everyone knows who they are and they are a general topic of conversation. At least that was the case when I lived there! Who knows if there are more now! - Autumn

    ReplyDelete