Saturday, October 10, 2009

Fútbol...

I'm glad I was out on my bike early this morning. I did my riding and was back at Enlaces before 8am. Even while I was out, the traffic was getting really crazy on the new boulevard. Pretty much every taxi is flying a Honduras or Honduras fútbol flag. Many other cars are, also.

After cooling off and taking my shower, I grabbed a taxi and headed for La Princesita. Baleadas were my target. Baleadas are basically a bean burrito, and are one of the few times that flour tortillas are used here, rather than the more traditional corn. La Princesita is actually a bakery, down near the center of town, but they've opened up an additional location and are bringing in the cakes from the bakery. But, more than that, they are making awesome baleadas at the new location. The fresh flour tortilla is made after you place your order. Today, I had the baleada mixta, which includes frijoles (beans), queso (a parmesan cheese-like product), mantequilla (like sour cream, but more tart) and huevos (eggs). The baleadas there are huge and one was plenty for a meal. Including a bottle of Pepsi Light (Diet Pepsi), I spent 29Lps ($1.53USD) for my meal. The baleada was only 15Lps!!!

Before grabbing a taxi back to Enlaces, I walked across the street to check out one of the many, many, MANY street vendors who are out today, selling Honduran fútbol shirts, flags, and hats in preparation for tonight's soccer game in San Pedro Sula against the US. So many people are already wearing Honduras shirts, including me, but it doesn't seem that there is any lack of customers for all of the vendors who are out. There's a guy hawking his wares not too far from our front gate, so I may go over there a little bit later to check out his prices.

Tonight's game is critical for both teams, as it brings the winner closer to being in the finals of World Cup Soccer in South Africa. We'll be watching the game here at the Center. My friend, Jenny, will be watching it in person at the stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment