Friday, October 2, 2009

Bikes on the Boulevard...

First, a "gecko poop update" ~~ Nothing. It's been almost two weeks since I've had any gecko poop on the counter. I dunno, maybe it really is connected to the time that Mel has been hiding out in the Brazilian Embassy.

This morning I decided to go for a little bike ride. I really needed to stretch my legs and lungs. I threw on some clothes that need to be washed and headed for the kitchen to make a quick breakfast. I figured that baleadas would be good. They're quick, easy, good bike food and are actually a traditional Honduran breakfast. Baleadas are basically bean and cheese burritos. It's one of the few times that flour tortillas are used here. There's a new baleada place over by the Jumbo supermarket, so one of these days I'll check it out.

Back to the bike ride... After a couple of baleadas, I headed for the front gate. Then I rode the short distance to the new boulevard and maneuvered through traffic to get going. I had already planned to just do a couple of laps for my first time out. Within a short distance of starting, I stopped at a little shop. The guy had bicycle tires hanging up outside, so I stopped to see if I could get some air in my tires and ask about buying a bomba (pump). A hand pump, kind of like a frame pump, will set me back 36Lps (about $1.90US) and I can get a floor pump for 115Lps ($6US). I think I may get both. That way, when I eventually give away this bike, after my GT arrives from the States, I can give a pump with it.

I did two laps on the boulevard, riding it from the highway to the end, which is just past where the gym is. I'm not sure of the distance since the bike I have here doesn't have a computer on it, but I estimate it at about 4, maybe 4 1/2 miles total, back to the gate at Enlaces. Once my bike gets here, I'll be able to get a more accurate reading of the distance.

The concept of riding a bike for fun or exercise here is pretty well lost on most people, but now that we have at least two different gyms in town, some people are starting to understand a little bit about working out. When we were out last week, with the ladies who were visiting, we saw one person jogging in the opposite direction we were going. That really struck me as odd because it was a Honduran -- AND a woman. But slowly, things are starting to change here.

It didn't feel too warm while I was riding, but after I got back to my house and brought the bike inside, the sweat started pouring off me. The sun was much brighter and it was much hotter than I realized. I grabbed a few sips of water and then started to cool down a bit. Then, a shower and some more water.

Now, I'm getting ready for my next adventure today: a haircut. I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment