Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Milestones...

Although I really don't have much time to study Spanish outright, I am finding more opportunities to use the Spanish I already know. (Note to self: Susan, you MUST schedule time to study Spanish if you want to really improve.) This week I've been more encouraged than frustrated in my language skills.

Monday was Esperanza's birthday. Antonio and Esperanza are pastors of the Vineyard church here. We've been attending that church. So, Jenny made some brownies for us to take over that afternoon. We drove out to Tres Caminos and visited with them for several hours. Pastor Antonio was asking me about my church in the US, what type of church, how large, etc. Esperanza asked me if I play any instruments and was immensely pleased when I mentioned guitar and trumpet. I didn't mention that I can play others; I thought listing two was plenty!! Antonio loved it when I told him that the Mustard Seed is very similar to Vineyard churches. I think they both almost fell out of their chairs when they heard that I spent 9 months teaching on spiritual gifts to our ladies' group. That's exactly what they have been wanting to teach on here. They told me that they'd love to have me help teach that, and that Mariel, their daughter, could interpret for me. Both of their children, Mariel and Josue, speak very good English. Well, I told them that they should pray for my things to arrive quickly from the States since all of my teaching notes are packed away in boxes, just waiting for the US to start Denton shipments here again. By the way, all of this transpired in Spanish, with relatively little help from Jenny or Mariel.

Last night we went back to Tres Caminos for small group. We were having a much larger celebration of Esperanza's birthday. At one point, Esperanza invited me to sit near her and one of the other ladies. Well, I was able to pretty much stay a part of the conversation. I even understood several of the jokes. It was a good night!

Then, this morning in Chapel, Hector was sharing and I actually understood about 70-80% of what he said. 70 to 80 percent!!! That's huge. To me, at least. Aftewards, I told him. I was pretty excited on two levels: my understanding today AND that he shared a great message from the Bible!

I know that not all days or weeks go like this one, so I'm going to revel in the fact that it's only Wednesday and I've already had a very good week language-wise.

1 comment:

  1. You may want to get a spanish tutor (a professional, not a friend). It's especially helpful when learning all those pesky verb conjugations! Not to mention it's easier to remember to study when you're paying someone. Although it sounds like you're doing great! - Autumn

    ReplyDelete