Tuesday, October 20, 2009

New Roommate...

Yup, I have a new roommate. No, I hadn't planned on having one, but it just sort of happened and is going to be a good thing. I've known Jenny since I was here in 2006. Despite our age differences (she's 25 years younger than I am), she and I clicked and became good friends. Anyway, Jenny's had a few things happen here, like being robbed at gunpoint, that have understandably been sources of stress and distress. Interestingly, Jenny had been praying about wanting to move in with someone, but the options open to her were with people with whom she knew it wouldn't work.

So, recently, Sandi and I were talking about Jenny's situation and I said, "what do you think about her moving here, into my house?" Well, Sandi had already been thinking of that as an option, or of having Jenny move into one of the apartments here on site. When presented with the possibility, Jenny jumped at the opportunity. Her future in-laws, Antonio and Esperanza, are also immensely pleased with the arrangement. Jenny will be getting married to their son, Josue, in July, so the arrangement is temporary. Plus, if either of us feels that the roommate situation isn't working, there's always the apartment as an option.

But I don't think that's going to happen. Like I said, Jenny and I clicked when we first met. In fact, I met her on a Saturday and 3 or 4 days later I was staying with her in Tegucigalpa the night before taking the bus to Costa Rica.

Another cool thing is that Jenny doesn't know a lot about cooking, so this is an opportunity for us to prepare meals together and have her learn a bit. We've already started. Tonight we made rice, pataste and fish. It's simple, but it tastes good, and that's a great hallmark of meal preparation: keep it simple! Jenny's said that Josue is glad she's going to learn to cook. Yeah, that's just like a guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment